Kakarakaya in English
- Kakarakaya in English is “Bitter Gourd or Bitter Melon“
Kakarakaya is one of the popular vegetables consumed in India. It is a gourd-like tropical plant that is related to pumpkin, and cucumber. The Kakarakaya is oblong in form and has a unique warty surface covered with sharp, triangular “teeth” and ridges. In cross-section, it’s hollow, with a thin layer of flesh surrounding a core seed chamber packed with huge flat seeds and pith.
Unripe Kakarakaya has white seeds and piths that turn red as they mature. They can be removed prior to cooking. The flesh of Kakarakaya is crisp and watery in texture. The most common way to eat the fruit is in its raw state (green colour or early fading). The immature Kakarakaya shoots and leaves can also be consumed.
The Kakarakaya fruit is bitter when raw, but it can be soaked in cold water and then drained to reduce part of the bitterness. It is also eaten with yoghurt on the side to balance out the bitterness, used in curries like sabzi, or stuffed with spices and cooked in oil in North Indian cuisine.
Kakarakaya has used in curry dishes, deep-frying with peanuts. Kakarakaya pulusu is a soup with fried onions and spices, which is famous in the Andhra and Telangana regions.
Kakarakaya has a long history of use in Asian and African countries as herbal medicine. Fibre, vitamin C and vitamin A are all found in Kakarakaya. Different components of the plant are used in Indian traditional medicine to treat diabetes, ulcers, cough and rheumatism. Kakarakaya is not recommended for pregnant women due to the risk of bleeding and miscarriage.
- Andhra style Kakarakaya Vepudu
- Kakarakaya pulusu
- Gutti Kakarakaya
- Kakarakaya Podi Kura
- Kakarakaya Pulusu Bellam Koora
- Kakarakaya Karam Podi
- Kakarakaya ulli karam
Nuvvulu Health Benefits
Benefits of Nuvvulu are endless
- Kakarakaya can aid in the reduction of blood sugar levels
- Kakarakaya is good for digestion
- Kakarakaya energizes the body and aids in the improvement of sleep quality as well as the reduction of sleep disorders such as insomnia
- Kakarakaya has many anti-cancer properties
- Kakarakaya helps to purify the blood
- Kakarakaya lowers cholesterol
- Kakarakaya is high in vitamin A, which helps to prevent cataracts and improve vision
- Kakarakayaand help with weight loss
- Kakarakaya is low-calorie content but is high in fibre
- Kakarakaya is good for the skin and hair health
- Kakarakaya is a liver cleanser
- Kakarakaya improves cardiac health
- Kakarakaya helps to fight cancer
- Kakarakaya has a large level of antioxidants, which aids in the treatment of numerous illnesses