Kurumulaku in English
- Kurumulaku meaning in English is “Black Pepper“
Black Pepper in Hindi
- Black Pepper name in Hindi is “Kali Mirch“
Black Pepper in Marathi
- Black Pepper name in Marathi is “Kali Miri“
Black Pepper in Telugu
- Black Pepper meaning in Telugu is “Miriyalu“
Black Pepper in Bengali
- Bengali name of Black Pepper is “Gol Morich“
Black Pepper in Tamil
- Black Pepper meaning in Tamil is “Milagu“
Black Pepper in Kannada
- Black Pepper meaning in Kannada is “Menasinkalu“
Black Pepper in Gujarati
- Black Pepper meaning in Gujarati is “Kala Mari“
Pepper Powder in Hindi
- Black Pepper powder in Hindi is “Kali mirch ka powder“
Kurumulaku (or) Kali Mirch (or) Black pepper is a worldwide popular spice which is known as the “King of Spice”. It is the world’s most traded and widely consumed spice. In ancient times, Kurumulaku was once known as the Black Gold due to its capability to dominate the trade and one of the major export-earning crops. They were a much-prized trade good and also used as a form of commodity money. Kurumulaku occupies an integral part of Indian cooking since at least 2000 BC. It is a main component of the garam masala. Cultivated in over 26 countries. Kurumulaku has many health benefits and is also used in ancient Ayurvedic medicines.
Kurumulaku is largely cultivated in India, mainly around the Malabar Coast of Kerala, Goa, Karnataka and other tropical Asian countries. It is native to the Malabar region. The places are apt for pepper plants, as they need a long rainy season and partial shade for better growth. Actually a flowering vine, it may reach a height of around 10 metres through its aerial roots. The peppercorn is about 0.2 inches in diameter and contains a single seed. This plant starts to bear in three to five years and has a production capacity of 40 years. Tellicherry pepper grown in India is generally known to be the highest quality variety of black pepper.
From the pepper plant, the small riped fruits or berries known as Kalimiri are dried under direct sunlight until they shrivel and turn a brownish-black colour. The same Kalimiri are used to produce varieties like white pepper and green pepper. They are used as spice and seasoning in dishes. Peppercorns is a good preservative and highly regarded as a condiment.
The peppercorns have a relatively low moisture content and last indefinitely for years without losing their flavour and aroma. It can be grounded when needed. The flavour of the black pepper is sharp and spicy, which goes well mainly with meat and fish dishes. It is added to soups and barbecue sauces. Powdered black pepper is found on nearly every dinner table alongside table salt.
The spiciness of black pepper is due to the chemical compound piperine. It is responsible for the pungent taste of pepper. This chemical can reduce pain, improve breathing, and reduce inflammation in the human body. Peppercorns, the most widely traded spice in the world, accounts for more than 20% of all spice imports.
Health Benefits of Black pepper are endless.
- Kurumulaku is good for digestion and intestinal health.
- Kurumulaku is beneficial for cough and respiratory problems.
- Kurumulaku helps to reduce cholesterol levels.
- Kurumulaku has antibacterial properties against gram-positive bacteria.
- The piperine present in Kurumulaku has cancer-fighting properties.
- Kurumulaku helps to increase good cholesterol.
- Kurumulaku has many anti-inflammatory benefits, where piperine helps ease inflammation.
- Kurumulaku has strong antioxidant properties.
- Kurumulaku helps to improve blood sugar control.
- Kurumulaku helps in losing bodyweight
- Kurumulaku helps in regulating heart rate and high blood pressure
- Kurumulaku helps in the development of red blood cells