Nendran Banana in English
- The name of Nendran Banana / Nenthra Pazham in English is Plantain banana
Also, the English name of Ethapazham/Nendram Pazham/Nendrapazham/Changalikodan is Plantain Banana.
BUY NENDRAN BANANA CHIPS ONLINE
Nendran Banana in Tamil
- Nenthiram Palam is the Tamil name.
Nendran Banana in Marathi
- Nendran Banana is called Velchi in Marathi
Other Names of Nendran Banana
- Malayalam names are Nendram Pazham, Nenthra Pazham, Chengazhikodan, Ethapazham, Nendrapazham.
About Nendran Banana
Nendran Banana or the Nenthra Pazham is found widely in Kerala in large quantities where it is a staple food of the region. It is one of the most popular traditional fruits cultivated in Kerala. It is a healthy snack for people of all ages. The nendram pazham has got Geographical Indication registrations (GI tag) from Chennai’s Geographical Indications Registry in 2014.
The Nendran belong to the banana family though they are not similar to a regular banana. The texture of the Nendran banana is different from other varieties. Its size is big and fleshy and pale yellow. How can we confirm that the Nendran banana is ripe? Yes, the ripe bananas will be golden yellow with black spots on the skin. The duration of the crop is happened to be 10-12 months depending on various factors. They are usually plated in the month of October. During Onam, people have a habit of gifting Nendran to relatives and friends. They also offer bunches in the temples.
Nendran Varieties are classified based on
- Growth Rate
How much Glycemic Index in Nendran banana?
Glycemic Index or just GI is used for measuring how foods affect your blood sugar levels. The unripe nendram pazham has a glycemic index that is lower than a ripe banana. The GI of a fully ripe Nendran banana is of the range 51-60 (depending on the ripeness and size) and unripe is much lesser at 41. Hence, both ripe and unripe banana falls under the category of low-GI foods.
Popular Nenthra Pazham Recipes
The raw Nendran bananas are often used in cooking. They are used for making Kerala dishes like ‘thoran, olan, avial, erisseri’.
The most popular snack is Banana chips or crisps. Banana is finely sliced into small pieces and are deep-fried in coconut oil.
BUY BANANA CHIPS ONLINE
Ripe Nendran bananas are consumed as fruit. They are sweet in flavour.
Ethapazham or Nenthra Pazham(ripe ones) are used to make Pazham Nirachathu, a traditional snack widely found in the Malabar region during Iftar. Full banana is stuffed with coconut, cashew nuts, raisins, cardamom and jaggery.
Pazham pori or Ethakka appam/Fritter, where the pieces are dipped in flour and deep-fried. Another popular snack of Kerala in the evening time for tea.
Steamed Nendran banana or Ethapuzhukku, where nendran bananas are steamed and served as a breakfast dish. Another snack using nendran is Sharkara Upperi.
BUY SHARKARA UPPERI/VARATTI ONLINE
Nenthra Pazham Health Benefits
Nendran Banana Benefits are endless. Nenthra Pazham is the source of different nutrients and has a variety of health benefits.
- Nenthra Pazham is high in protein and vitamin. It lowers cholesterol in the body.
- Nendran is good for reducing blood pressure and modifying the metabolism.
- Nendran Banana boost the immune system. It is also an energy booster, protecting heart health.
- The powder of Nendran is good for babies. They are cut into small pieces, dry in the sun and powdered. In Kerala, this is a healthy baby food product for gaining weight. It is easy to digest. Usually, it is home-made.
- Nenthra pazham is good for digestion and reduces constipation.
- They are good for weight loss due to their low-calorie content.
- Furthermore, they help in intestinal disorders, Anaemia, kidney disorders, etc
- Ensures healthy eyes, building strong bones and detoxifying the body.
- The Nendran utilizes resistant starch and good for health.
BUY KERALA BANANA POWDER FOR BABIES ONLINE
Read: English name of Kachil