Kachil in English
The English name of Kachil is Purple Yam (Dioscorea alata).
About Kachil Kizhangu
Kachil is a healthy and traditional food. It is a starchy root vegetable widely grown in Kerala. Kachil kizhangu is a good source of energy and possesses anti-inflammatory property. The outside texture of Kachil plant is rough and grayish brown and inside its flesh is purple or white coloured. It normally comes in a bunch weighing around 4 to 5 Kg. Streamed Kachil (Kachil puzhungiyathu ) is a popular recipe in Kerala for the breakfast. Also, people add it as an ingredient in aviyal, sambar. Kachil fry is also a widely made recipe in Kerala.
Health Benefits of Kachil
- Kachil kizhangu is rich in antioxidants, including carbs, potassium and vitamin C.
- It improves the blood circulation
- It is good to reduce the growth of certain cancer and
- It is good for diabetic patients by managing blood sugar
- It helps to lower blood pressure and promotes heart health
- It is good for asthma patient
- It is beneficial for proper digestion. Good for many digestive disorders.
- It plays a major role in maintaining gut health.