Thirukkai Fish in English
- English name of Thirukkai fish is ‘Stingray Fish‘
- Other names are Whip-tail sting ray/ Ray fish‘
Thirukkai Fish in Malayalam
- Malayalam name of Thirukkai is ‘Thirandi Fish‘
Thirukkai Fish in Telugu
- Telugu name of Thirukkai Fish is ‘Teki, Belugiri, Tenku‘
Thirukkai Fish in Kannada
- Kannada name of Thirukkai Fish is ‘Thorake‘
About Thirukkai Fish /Thirandi Fish
Thirukkai/Stingray is a cartilaginous flattened fish found in coastal tropical marine waters throughout the world. They have no bones, their skeleton is made of cartilage. The eyes of the Thirukkai fish are on the top of its body, and the mouth is on the underside of its body. The tail is twice as long as the body. There are more than 220 known stingray species. It is a healthy fish that has medicinal values. Thirandi meen is very rich in vitamins, minerals and proteins. This fish is caught when very large, up to 40 kg in size. It has ammonia like smell naturally, and it is good for health.
The flesh of Thirukkai/Stingray fish is delicate, and the meatiest part are the fins, cheeks and liver. Other parts of Thirandi fish is chewy. Usually it tastes like a combination of fish and lobster. Thirukkai recipes can be found in many coastal areas around the world. In India, it is used as part of spicy curries and fries. Thirukkai meen curry is a very popular seafood item in Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
Thirukkai Fish Benefits
- Thirukkai Fish reduces the risk of depression in pregnant women. It is good for pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers.
- Thirukkai meen reduces risk of heart disease, asthma, cancer, diabetes and other inflammatory conditions.
- Thirukkai Fish is good for skin and hair
- Thirandi Fish helps with brain development
- Thirukkai Fish is good for Eyesight
- Thirandi Fish reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.