Kumbalanga in English
- English name of Kumbalanga is ‘Ash Gourd‘
Ash Gourd in Hindi
- Hindi name of Ash Gourd is ‘Petha‘
Ash Gourd in Telugu
- Telugu name of Ash Gourd is ‘Boodidi Gummadikaya‘
Ash Gourd in Tamil
- Tamil name of Ash Gourd is ‘Neer Poosanikkai‘
Ash Gourd in Kannada
- Kannada name of Ash Gourd is ‘Budu Kumbda‘
Ash Gourd in Marathi
- Marathi name of Ash Gourd is ‘Budu Kumbda‘
Ash Gourd in Gujarati
- Gujarati name of Ash Gourd is ‘Kolu‘
Ash Gourd in Bengali
- Bengali name of Ash Gourd is ‘ChaalKumro‘
Kumbalanga/ Ash Gourd
Kumbalanga is a vegetable produced from the plant named Kumbalam that is native to parts of Southern Asia, particularly India. It is also called as Kooshmandam. Kumbalanga matures into a round melon thats more or less similar to a watermelon. This oval shaped vegetable grows on a vine and is powdery ash-colored. Kumbalanga has 95% water content. Kumbalanga has nutrient content and many medicinal properties. Kumbalanga grows as large as 80 cm in length.
The flesh of Kumbalanga is used in many Indian dishes. In North India, a sweet named ‘petha’ is made using Kumbalanga. Also, used in cooking a variety of staple Indian dishes such as curry, sabzi and dal. In South India, Kumbalanga is used in many curries like sambar, kootu etc.
In Kerala, there are many popular Kumbalanga recipes. The various kumbalanga dishes are as follows.
- Kumbalanga pachadi (Watch Video)
- Kumbalanga moru curry
- Kumbalanga parippu curry
- Kumbalanga halwa
- Chicken kumbalanga curry
- Kumbalanga manga curry
- Kumbalanga varutharacha curry
- Kumbalanga payar curry
- Kumbalanga kichadi
- Kumbalanga muringakka curry
- Kumbalanga curry without coconut
Kumbalanga Health Benefits
- Kumbalanga is low on calories and helps to lose weight.
- Kumbalanga is improves digestion due to its low calorie and high fibre content.
- Kumbalanga prevents stomach ulcer.
- The juice of Kumbalanga is used to treat mild to severe dysentery.
- The juice of Kumbalanga is also good for scalp disorders like dandruff.
- Kumbalanga contains smaller amounts of iron, magnesium, phosphorus.
- Kumbalanga reduces inflammation due to the presence of compounds like flavonoids and carotenoids.
- Kumbalanga strengthens respiratory processes by preventing allergies and breathing difficulties.
- Kumbalanga detoxifies the kidneys.
- Kumbalanga is good for stomach, liver, hair and skin.
- Kumbalanga has antimicrobial effects that protect against certain bacteria and fungi.
- Kumbalanga provides cooling effect on the body.
- Kumbalanga having zero cholesterol is good for health
- Kumbalanga facilitates key metabolic functions in the body.