Pomfret Fish in Tamil
- Tamil name of Pomfret Fish is Vavval Meen
- Black Pomfret Fish in Tamil is Karuppu Vavval
- White Pomfret in Tamil is Vellai Vavval
Pomfret in Malayalam
- Malayalam name of Pomfret Fish is Avoli
- Black Pomfret Fish in Malayalam is Karutha Avoli
- White Pomfret in Malayalam is Velutha Avoli
Pomfret Fish in Telugu
- Telugu name of Pomfret Fish is Chanduva
- Black Pomfret Fish in Telugu is Nalla Chanduva
- White Pomfret Fish in Telugu is Tella Chanduva
Pomfret Fish in Hindi
- Hindi name of Pomfret Fish is Paplet
- Black Pomfret Fish in Hindi is Halwa
- White Pomfret Fish in Hindi is Pamphlet
Pomfret Fish in Kannada
- Kannada name of Pomfret Fish is Manji
- Black Pomfret Fish in Kannada is Kappu Manji
- White Pomfret Fish in Kannada is Bili Manji
Pomfret Fish in Marathi
- Marathi name of Pomfret Fish is Chandava, Saranga
Pomfret Fish in Bengali
- Bengali name of Pomfret Fish is Baul Chandi, Kalo Chanda
Pomfret Fish in Oriya
- Oriya name of Pomfret Fish is Bahala
- Black Pomfret Fish in Oriya is Kala Chandi
- White Pomfret Fish in Oriya is Dhala Chandi
Pomfret / Vavval Meen / Avoli
Pomfret is a seawater tasty fish found globally in the Indian, Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. The name Pomfret is developed from the Portuguese words ‘Pampo’ or ‘Pamflet’ The Indian Pomfret fish can be found on the coast of the Indian subcontinent mainly in Gujarat, Odisha and Maharashtra coasts. Perciforms is the category of fishes pomfrets belongs to.
The body of the pomfret fish is very flat, with long and deeply forked tails. Usually, Pomfret fish don’t have a strong odour. Pomfret fish is a bit expensive in India due to its demand.
Species of Pomfret
- Silver Pomfret
- White Pomfret
- Black Pomfret
- Grey Pomfret
Silver Pomfret & Benefits
Silver Pomfret is one of the high-quality fish for its unique taste. It consists of a single bone. Silver Pomfret Fry is a popular tasty dish. Traditional Pomfret fish curry is another favourite, available widely in restaurants. It also tastes good when grilled and steamed.
Silver Pomfret fish has many health benefits. It is rich in proteins and low in fat.
Silver Pomfret fish contains B vitamins, including vitamin B12 and Niacin.
White Pomfret & Benefits
White pomfret is a butterfish well known for its amazing taste that reaches 27-28 cm and grows to a size of 33 cm. April and June is the time the fish is caught. This fish is rhomboidal shaped and has a blunt nose and long fin.
White pomfret fish has many health benefits. It is good for the heart and improves eyesight. Compared to Black pomfret, White pomfret fish has low-fat content.
Black Pomfret & Benefits
Black pomfret also called ‘Halwa Fish’, contains proteins and omega-3 fatty acids. The steaks of Black pomfret are tasty and the fleshiest cuts from this fish. The size of the fish is larger and elongated, with a slender tail. As the name indicates, it is black.
Grey pomfret, greyish coloured, is found in the Gulf of Kutch. Grey pomfret has more commercial demand than the other species. The size of the fish is larger and broader. The Grey pomfret weighs more than other species of pomfret.
Pomfret Fish Benefits
- Pomfret fish contains proteins, calcium, vitamins A and D.
- Pomfret fish helps to lower fat levels.
- Pomfret fish contains a good amount of Omega 3 fatty acids that supply DHA, which is good for the brain.
- Pomfret fish is very low in calories.
- Pomfret fish prevents cardiovascular diseases.
- Pomfret fish contains a good amount of iodine, which is critical for the thyroid gland.
- Pomfret fish contains Vitamin B12, which is critical for the nervous system.
- Pomfret fish is good for eyesight.
- Pomfret fish is good for hair and skin.
- Pomfret fish regulates blood clotting.
- Pomfret fish reduces tissue inflammation.